academic term II & III
ACADEMIC & OTHER UPDATES – II & III TERMS OCT TO DEC 2015
Term II of this academic year unexpectedly became too short with just 45 work days, thanks to the rains and floods of Chennai. But due to Grace of the Almighty our school premises remained intact with very minor issues which could be addressed immediately. Despite the short period of time we could do quite a bit on the academic side.
- In continuation of the Parent meeting held at the close of I term, the follow-up action items were taken up. Home programs were given to parents for being carried out at home. Counseling parents continued. Tips were given to them to manage their mental and physical states to handle their wards’ behaviour issues.
- Under the MOU signed with JBAS College for Women around 10 students from PG course of psychology, Nutrition & Dietetics & Child development did their internship in Swabodhini. Students were assigned to various classes of the smaller groups. They did painting, posters, charts depicting rhymes actions, flash cards etc. They also spent time with children of pre-primary & primary I & II classes on storytelling, general awareness and other games for socialization etc.
They also prepared and displayed a lot of gluten free keisen free nutritive food items specifically for children with special needs. Parents were invited for the display and they were explained about the ingredients and effects they have on children. It was a well attended program.
- Vocational curriculum is being carried on as per plan. As part of training, students have to be taken on field trips to companies where they can get a hands on experience of a real organisation. This is done in order to develop their soft skills. 6 of the Computer & Office Admin students were taken on a field visit to Williams Lea Ltd in Chennai. They learnt the processes of reporting at the gate security, getting a visitor’s pass, waiting at the lobby to meet the executive, maintaining silence at work place, location of utilities like wash rooms, cafeteria, dining hall etc. Observing the rules while entering an executive’s office, self introduction and introduction of friends to others was also part of the training. Motivation and pride in every student was very visible.
- Vocational students are also being trained on life skills. Managing an emergency situation when they are left alone in a new place, how to face floods situation, when there is no power, etc are some of the topics. Real life situations are simulated and enacted to them to make them understand. They are being taken to banks for cheque deposit & cash withdrawal from ATMs. They are being familiarized with travelling by themselves in public transport. Bus routes within the city are also being taught.
- Retail students undertook a second venture of their retail on wheels as part of experiential learning. Groceries were taken to a gated community in Chennai where the students made sales worth around Rs. 20,000. Students’ duties were divided between identification of products, packing them for delivery, billing and customer interaction. It was a very good experience to both students as well as staff.
- Science lab experiments on concept of floating, seasons, rainbow formation and colors of the rainbow were taught in the science lab to students of primary IV & V.
- We had earlier mentioned that 2 of the drawings of model pumps of Grundfos Pvt Ltd, done by our students were selected by them for being published. We are happy to share the picture of the pumps appearing on their calendar for 2016.
- Paypal Ltd conducted a Hackathorn event – an opportunity hacking event for software development for NGO’s. Ms. Kiran Bedi was the chief guest of the function. The logo for the event was a painting done by one of our students which was unveiled by her.
- On 23rd Jan our students took part in the Wipro Chennai Marathon events Expo function and performed the cultural events.
- On 31st January, 2016 our students participated in the Wipro Chennai marathon “ Run for Fun” especially conducted for people with special needs.
- On January 25th 2016 our students performed a dance program in the award distribution function organized by Tanker Foundation. Many celebrities witnessed the program and appreciated the students. The dance performance was on the description about the five types of lands as explained in the Tamil literature (Kurinji, Mullai, Marutham, Neithal & Paalai). The foundation also gave a memento with a citation about the students & the school.
- On 1st February 2016 our students participated in the DDRO sports Meet conducted by the State Government in which many of the ministers participated. Our students participated in running, long jump, obstacle race etc. Our vocational student Miran Mohideen won the second prize in 200 mtr running race. They received the prizes & certificates of participation from the Minister for Social Welfare Mrs. Valarmathi. Our Vocational student Rudresh won the 2nd prize in 200 mtr running race.